Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dammit Scotty

In going through a job application today (for those of you that did not pick up the subtle hint a few weeks ago, I got laid off) I had to rummage through an old file to get an address and ran across a packet of stuff I'd kept from a previous job. Back a long time ago, before I knew most of the people I know now, I worked at this fabulous little company called Bar Code Supply. I loved it there and it loved me back and if things could have been a little different, I'd still be there. (I won't go into the long boring story of it being sold and my battle with the new owner, but that's how it went down). Anyway, one of the earlier jobs I had there was as Systems Coordinator, which basically meant I handled all of the salespeople's sales and was the person that kept the sales software up to date and clean and was also the go-between for accounting and sales. I fell into this position by doing what was needed and when we decided to make it an official position, my suggestion to my manager was to call it the "tape" since i held everything together. hee hee. but I digress... There was this guy, Scotty. He could sell anything to anyone but was notoriously bad at doing his paperwork correctly, no matter how many times I helped him. Now me and Scotty had a long love/hate relationship with many ups and downs (and no, there was no funny business, this is just a boring work story) but I think that one of the reasons he never learned to do it right was because he loved fucking with me and seeing me come stomping down to his office with yet another question. He also loved to tell people that his "assistant" would be calling them back, knowing how much it infuriated me. I finally decided that I would stop going down there to feed into his amusement with pissing me off and just started to put the things he did wrong back into his inbox. So that he would know there was something that he needed to fix, I made this stamp:

He hated that stamp so much that he and I actually got a system down that worked for both of us. For a while it was him buying me a bottle of vodka every Friday. I learned a lot from that fucker. I keep the stamp to remind me.

1 comment:

Dr. A said...

Everyone needs a "Dammit Scotty" stamp.

Great story!

Good luck with the job search.