Thursday, February 19, 2009

Showtime!

Tonight starts a run of Sugar Q shows that will go until the end of March. It's so fun and something that for the rest of my life, I will be so glad that I get a chance to do, to be a showgirl. It's also a big commitment. Every Thursday, rain or shine, regardless of your day and whether or not you are sick or not in the mood to dance, the show must go on. and it must be good. Burlesque is fun. and funny. and its our job to be entertaining! It's also a big commitment on the part of our mates, who already have been experiencing "practice tonight, i'll be home late. love you!" Now the show is their commitment as well. I'm lucky. John is super great about going to the shows and when he's there, hooting and hollering and just being awesome. He's always the first to laugh when there needs to be a laugh and to make a funny comment. I hear him when i'm on stage and from the dressing room as someone else is performing. I love it that he's not only there, but enjoys himself week after week. I know its not always where he wants to be, but he's always there and always great.

Something I loved about the last run, and am looking forward to this time around, is the feeling of Thursdays: Show Day. Thursdays become a day in the week to truly look forward to and on each Thursday, I go about my business feeling like I have this nifty little secret. Today, I have my hair in a braid and no make-up on. I am going to go out for a jog and then to the grocery store. No one will notice me. My name is Shannon, random girl. But later this afternoon, I will go upstairs to transform. I will curl my hair and put on fancy make-up and false eyelashes rhinestone jewelery and glitter and pack up my hangers of sparkly costumes. I am Strippy Longstocking.

See you at the Theatre!

Hawthorne Theatre Lounge 8:30 $10

2 comments:

John Judy said...

That was a pretty awesome post, Ms.Longstocking.

Also, who took that photo? I want a copy of the original

EvieG said...

Yes, John Judy, you are really just the best audience member ever. And you have been since Day One. Thanks.