Tuesday, February 22, 2011

One for the history books...

What started as a very normal weekend took a twist that we will not soon forget. It started innocently enough as I got ready to meet John downtown, where we were going to join our friends Char and Dave for a fund raising event. I was finishing the last of my work emails as I curled my hair and Toki helped me figure out what to wear...
When I got downtown, John and I had a pre-func drink before meeting up with Char and Dave. We were fancy!
We got to the event and were having a good time. As we were having dinner, I kept noticing how one of the dishes tasted weird. I chalked it up to me being unsophisticated and ate it anyway. Shortly after this, I realized that if I didn't get out of there in short timing, that dinner was going to find it's way back to the surface. We apologized and made a hasty retreat to a cab and made it home before I got sick.
The next day I felt fine and we took off for an adventure filled day. I couldn't find my wallet, but had switched purses that morning and just figured I had gotten distracted halfway through and the wallet didn't make the transition. (you sense what's happening here, don't you?) Well, later that day, shortly after we'd arrived home, I got a facebook message on my fancy new phone (shown below) from a guy who said he worked for the club "Dirty" and had found my wallet.
In the toilet. In my poor state on the way home, I had taken my wallet out to pay the cabbie and apparently never put it back into my purse. I called the club guy and my credit cards and cash were gone (of course) but my ID was there with a couple of my other cards. He'd found me because I had a card that pointed to this blog. Through there he tracked me down on Facebook. It was late and we'd been out all day but in a bizarre moment, John said "Let's just go downtown and pick it up!" We grabbed a cab and stopped and the Club Dirty to retrieve it. It was in an envelope and when I mentioned something about opening it, the guy said "Here, you'll need these" and handed me rubber gloves. We thanked him and decided that we'd grab a drink while we were downtown and made our way to the Dixie Tavern. They needed to card me to get in, so I put on those rubber gloves and opened the envelop to get my wallet, open it, and display its still wet contents. They did not ask to inspect it further.
We ended up dancing and having a really good time and an endless amount of jokes with our situation...
No one had tried to use the cards, so all's well that ends well. I'm keeping the envelope in my hope chest's box of memories and next time something tastes weird, I think I'll just skip it and plan to grab a snack later on.

No comments: